Saturday, August 18, 2007

Coach Naz' Postcard: Xin Chao!

I had the opportunity to visit Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC), Vietnam during an International HR Conference last April. I was there for about 4 days. It was a pack 4 days - program from morning to late afternoon but I managed to squeeze in some time in between to take a sneak peak of the City! Plus to my advantage, I have a friend working there! So, she brought me around the shops in the evenings…

What I observed about the City was that there weren’t many cars on the road. Majority people travel by motorcycles. You can see a pool of motorcycles during peak hours of the day. All kind of motorcycles and all sorts of things they carry with them on their motorcycles!!

The traffic system in HCMC is not very well-structured. For a foreigner, it can be DANGEROUS to drive own your own there, you just don’t know whether it is your way or the other person’s way or whether you are allowed to turn right/left – you just do it! You just follow the flow of traffic!

Although traffic is considered ‘crazy’ (yes, even worse than in KL), most motorcyclists don’t wear helmets on the road. And I was surprised that throughout my 4 days stay, I didn’t see even one accident on the road.

The other fact that I thought was interesting about HCMC is the Cu Chi Tunnels. It was built by the Vietnam Soldiers during the Vietnam War. It is an underground tunnel stretching for over 250 kilometers from the outskirts of Saigon (the older name for HCMC) to the Cambodian Borders. They had built several levels and they even had kitchens, storage rooms, field hospitals, weapon factories etc, all that underground!

Imagine living in a small space, underground for years! It must have been difficult… I had the chance to walk (crawl more like it) through one of the first level tunnels which was about 250 meters long. It was scary – dark, uncomfortable and small!! I just wanted to get to the end and out of it quick!!

At that point in time, I wondered to myself – how on earth did they build those tunnels? And how did they live in those tunnels as though it was a normal day to day thing?

What I can conclude from the trip to Cu Chi Tunnels is that “People can do amazing things to survive!”

ps: "Xin Chao" means "Hello" in Vietnamese Language.

Labels:

TekadMon at 12:13 pm

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Home