Monday, July 09, 2007

Success vs Failure: Part 2

Everybody dreams of being successful in whatever they do. But how do we react when the unthinkable happens?

Let's see how Coach Anang and Coach Lan coped in the second installment of Success Vs. Failure Series.

THE REALISATION

Coach Anang: After what happened to me, I believed that whatever happens to you, it is your call. You can just go weeping down for even a hundred years... but nothing is going to change the situation.

I kept reanalyzing and reassessing myself (muhasabah). What went wrong? How could this happen. How can I improve myself. Initially, memang I was really frustrated... and thought that that's the end of the world.

However, I started to take things one step at a time, finding alternative options, analyzing my results and find suitable path to my career (since I got E and D for my Biology and Chemistry), I believed that was no-no for me, so I took up areas that are related to Mathematics and
Statistics. Then there are IT and computing). Alhamdulillah, it turned out well for me. I was also getting advice from other people on how to deal with this. Talk to other people. That is important. You can't really think with your own mind at that time. Second or third opinion is much better.

For me failure is a cure. It is bitter but can heal yourself. It makes us realize of our individual performance, capability and needs. Sometimes when failure happened, you'll realize that you have not done enough to achieve what you wanted, or you have done it in different way, or you need some help or guidance. The bitter part is where you have to get it off quickly....


Coach Lan : The reason why I think I didn’t do well in SPM and A-Levels was because I struggled to be in the crowd - to remain in my friend's league. I didn’t love what I was doing. I was forcing myself. For some, it can work, but for rebellious souls like myself, it can’t. My friends did accounting and mathematics. I wanted to do that too, not realising that my strengths are in the creative and social sciences. While I was in secondary school, I borrowed psychology and sociology books to read while my friends were practicing mathematics and accounting. Human behaviour intrigued me and I always like business - since I was a kid, I've always made my own money - jual gambar, sell keychains and stickers, anything that I feel marketable. I’d make like a few hundreds monthly. not bad eh? . :D that's how we are different. Our school systems do not support people like me. hehehe.

Also I think the reason why I fail a lot is because I love to try and experience new things and take risks to try. Sometimes I fail, sometimes I perform well. if I fail, I learn and move on and I know would have gained some knowledge. If u ask me whether I dare not fail or I fear failure, I'd say its 90-10.Tthere's a part of me that is afraid to take big risks. I'm still deliberating whether I should do something that is big. Otherwise, I'll go for it. just do it...but with substance and calculated risk. Then only will you learn.

What did our Coaches do to push themselves and rise up again after each failure? Read the 3rd part next week…

Labels:

TekadMon at 7:29 pm

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Home